Sunday, May 20, 2018

Fragments as strings

Are you ever stuck for a string? Even if not, try choosing a fragment and pencilling it onto your tile to use as the string.

Below I've used four fragments of Flukes. You can see the actual tangle in the upper left corner and elsewhere. Doing the fragment so much larger than usual offers many opportunities to add other tangles to the design.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Cubine, Flukes, Pearlz,
Slowpoke, Tipple, Zonked 
In color, here are two fragments of Jalousie. The full tangle can be seen behind each "lollipop".
Tangles: Boucle, Cirqital, Fohbraid, Jalousie, Ragz
Similar to fragment K5 from the Zentangle Primer book, this didn't work out as nicely as I'd hoped. It might be more interesting if I'd interlaced the two ovals.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Betweed, Crescent Moon, Zonked
And here's a fragment of the tangle Well, with a lot of Mooka! Well itself can be seen on the left side.
Tangles: Boucle, Mooka, Tipple, Well
On a tan tile, fragment J1.
Tangles: Paisley Boa, Perfs, Tipple
I think this next one is too busy-looking. Not my favorite. It's fragment X2 (in the Primer book) which is rather intricate to begin with, but I think I tried to do too much with it.
Tangles: Beadlines, Dex, Gneiss, Knightsbridge, Snail, Tidings
Finally, a fragment of Crusade, a tangle I really struggled with initially. You can see it at the lower right and upper left. This tile, and the first shown (Flukes) are my two favorites. (F-Y2).
Tangles: Apacore, Crescent Moon, Crusade, Pearlz, Tipple
I'd love to see what you do using a fragment as your string!

8 comments:

  1. Well they say great minds think alike. I was thinking about doing something like this a couple days ago and then BAM! You show up with it. I really like the outcome. Thanks for sharing. Now I have to do it, too. Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. All are beautiful- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Margaret! I love fragments and am going to try a tile using my favorite as the String. Thank you for the inspiration! ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! Love this idea and all of your examples!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me a while to understand what you were doing (doh!) but when I got it, I was inspired! Brilliant idea. I'm starting with verve as my fragment string. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should be interesting! I'd love to see it when you're done.

      Delete